Carrots are delicious, crunchy, and fun to look at when they come in various colors. However, they are also full of vitamins, minerals, and fiber while low in calories. It makes sense why carrots are one of the top vegetables in the world. Here is how rainbow carrots help your health.
How Rainbow Carrots Enhance Your Health
Many people don’t even know that carrots come in other colors besides orange. We recommend adding color to your life by purchasing our rainbow heirloom non-GMO carrots. Non-GMO foods are healthier and devoid of chemicals, but you can still expect a fantastic taste.
Here is a breakdown of the health benefits associated with each carrot based on its color:
- Orange: Orange carrots contain beta and alpha carotene pigment, which promotes Vitamin A production in the body. Vitamin A is vital for healthy eyes.
- Yellow: Yellow carrots contain xanthophylls and lutein. Xanthophyll is a plant-based nutrient that reduces eye fatigue, muscle degeneration, and cataracts. While lutein helps suppress inflammation, improves visual contrast sensitivity, reduces glare impairment, protects eye tissue from sunlight damage, and reduces cell loss and death related to eye disease.
- Red: Red carrots are rich in lycopene, which contains plenty of antioxidant power that fights against toxins, helps prevent cancer, alleviates neuropathic pain, and improves heart health.
- Purple: Purple carrots are rich in antioxidant compounds called anthocyanins that give blueberries their distinct color. Blue and purple pigments in carrots can improve memory. Also, according to Healthline, foods high in anthocyanin might protect against heart disease, improve blood flow and enhance blood vessel function. Anthocyanins also act as anti-inflammatories and can even help with weight management.
- White: While white carrots are technically void of color, they aren’t void of health benefits. White carrots have plenty of fiber to help digestion and contain vitamin C and potassium. Potassium regulates the heartbeat and ensures the proper functioning of the muscle and nerves. On the other hand, vitamin C protects the cells against the effects of free radicals. According to Mayo Clinic, free radicals might play a role in heart disease and cancer.
It’s also important to note that all carrots are rich in Vitamin C.
How to Eat Rainbow Carrots
Rainbow carrots are incredibly versatile. You can rinse them off and eat them as is, dipping them in your favorite dressing or peanut butter. However, you can also roast carrots and put olive oil and salt in a pan. You could also include rainbow carrots in salads or make heirloom carrot ginger soup, rainbow carrot and yellow pepper soup, and creamy roasted carrot soup.
Contact Baywater Farms to learn more about how to have our rainbow carrots in your home, along with other seasonal offerings such as field lettuces, radish mixes, fall squash, and savory sweet potatoes.
BAYWATER FARMS HAS THE RIGHT PRODUCE FOR YOU
Baywater Farms is a family-owned and operated farm servicing Baltimore, Washington D.C., Maryland, Delaware beaches, and the Eastern Shore. We are capable of meeting the demands of your produce distributor, restaurant produce supplier, CSA produce supplier, or wholesale produce supplier while maintaining the integrity and character of a small farm. When you work with Baywater Farms, you work with an experienced, ethical, and local farm dedicated to providing the highest-quality heirloom produce.